Write from the Imagination
Welcome to the research guide for Creative Writing. The resources in this guide have been selected to help you make this class a success.
On this page, find course information and a quick list of resources to get you started.
The following can help you start your research.
See the Library Resources tab for more extensive lists of suggested materials.
- Humanities International Complete
Humanities International Complete provides the full text of hundreds of journals, books, and other published sources from around the world.
- Poetry & Short Story Reference Center
Poetry & Short Story Reference Center is the most comprehensive collection of full-text poetry, short stories, and supplemental content available, offering users a historically rich collection of hundreds of thousands of poems as well as biographies and authoritative essays on such topics as poetic forms, movements, and techniques.
- New Writing: The International Journal for the Practice & Theory of Creative Writing
Contains creative work from university & college creative writing programs worldwide, alongside interviews with writers, articles about creative writing teaching methods & research, etc.; offers an international forum for creative writing, etc. (Not peer reviewed.)
- Writing on the Edge
Focuses on writing and the teaching of writing, is aimed primarily at college-level composition teachers and others interested in writing and writing instruction.
- Sol Stein’s Reference Book for Writers byCall Number: 808.02 St345soISBN: 9780312550950Publication Date: 2010-11-09
Street smarts from a publishing insider: This book offers a wealth of tips, tricks, and savvy advice to writers from college students to experienced authors and includes useful information about the publishing process.
- A Writer’s Toolkit byCall Number: 808.02 B7363wISBN: 0759633681Publication Date:
This book grew out of the teaching and writing experiences of the authors, over thirty years. It presents the fundamental principles of creative writing and illustrates them with both student and professional writing.
English at Northwestern
These links will take you to official NWOSU university pages.
- School of Arts & Sciences
The departments within the school offer a total of fifteen majors and twenty minors at the undergraduate level and a master of arts in American studies at the graduate level.
- English, Foreign Language & Humanities
The Department of English, Foreign Language & Humanities offers a broad range of courses leading to the bachelor of arts degree in English or English education. Students may also pursue a minor in English, writing, or Spanish.
- EnglishThe English Program at Northwestern Oklahoma State University offers a full range of courses in American, British, and world literature in addition to courses in creative writing, film studies, technical writing, and advanced composition in order to prepare students for academic and non-academic professional endeavors.