Welcome to the research guide for English Usage. This guide contains research materials and links to help you make this class a success.
On this page, find course information and a quick list of resources to get you started.
The following can help you start your research.
See the Library Resources tab for more extensive lists of suggested materials.
- Gale Literature Resource Center
Gale Literature Resource Center is Gale’s most current, comprehensive, and reliable online literature resource, offering the broadest and most representative range of authors and their works, including a deep collection of full-text critical and literary analysis for literary studies.
- Humanities International Complete
Humanities International Complete provides the full text of hundreds of journals, books, and other published sources from around the world.
- International Journal of English Studies
Covers developments in the general field of English studies, including the fields of language and linguistics, language learning and teaching, literature, and cultural studies.
- Journal of Research in Reading
Features reports of empirical studies in reading and related fields, and reviews of relevant literature.
- A Dictionary of Modern English Usage byCall Number: eBookISBN: 9780199535347Publication Date:
No book had more influence on twentieth-century attitudes to the English language in Britain than Henry Fowler’s Dictionary of Modern English Usage. It rapidly became the standard work of reference for the correct use of English in terms of choice of words, grammar, and style.
- How to Write a Sentence byCall Number: 808.042 F529hISBN: 9780061840531Publication Date:
In this entertaining and erudite New York Times bestseller, beloved professor Stanley Fish offers both sentence craft and sentence pleasure. Drawing on a wide range of great writers, from Philip Roth to Antonin Scalia to Jane Austen, How to Write a Sentence is much more than a writing manual—it is a spirited love letter to the written word and a key to understanding how great writing works.
English at Northwestern
These links will take you to official NWOSU university pages.
- School of Arts & Sciences
The departments within the school offer a total of fifteen majors and twenty minors at the undergraduate level and a master of arts in American studies at the graduate level.
- English, Foreign Language & Humanities
The Department of English, Foreign Language & Humanities offers a broad range of courses leading to the bachelor of arts degree in English or English education. Students may also pursue a minor in English, writing, or Spanish.
- EnglishThe English Program at Northwestern Oklahoma State University offers a full range of courses in American, British, and world literature in addition to courses in creative writing, film studies, technical writing, and advanced composition in order to prepare students for academic and non-academic professional endeavors.