Language Arts Instruction
Welcome to the research guide for Teaching English in the Secondary School. This guide contains research materials and links to help you make this class a success.
On this page, find course information and a quick list of resources to get you started.
The following can help you start your research.
See the Library Resources tab for more extensive lists of suggested materials.
- Education Source
Education Source is designed to meet the needs of education students, professionals, and policymakers.
- Gale Literature Resource Center
Gale Literature Resource Center is Gale’s most current, comprehensive, and reliable online literature resource, offering the broadest and most representative range of authors and their works, including a deep collection of full-text critical and literary analysis for literary studies.
- English Leadership Quarterly
English Leadership Quarterly, a publication of the Conference on English Leadership (CEL), helps department chairs, K–12 supervisors, and other leaders in their role of improving the quality of literacy instruction.
- English Teaching Forum
English Teaching Forum is a quarterly journal supporting the teaching of English around the world through the publication of innovative, practical ideas. It is published by the U.S. Department of State.
- Starting English Teaching byCall Number: eBookISBN: 9780203409657Publication Date:
Robert Jeffcoate provides many practical ideas for developing a repertoire of skills. He illustrates his suggestions with detailed examples of classroom practice and with many quotations from pupils’ own work.
- Teaching English Creatively byCall Number: eBookISBN: 9780398083878Publication Date:
The plan and purpose of this book are to provide educationally sound theories and creative activities in the teaching of English. This third edition retains many of the activities that were included in previous editions but also offers much new material based on the most current research and practice in English education.
English at Northwestern
These links will take you to official NWOSU university pages.
- School of Arts & Sciences
The departments within the school offer a total of fifteen majors and twenty minors at the undergraduate level and a master of arts in American studies at the graduate level.
- English, Foreign Language & Humanities
The Department of English, Foreign Language & Humanities offers a broad range of courses leading to the bachelor of arts degree in English or English education. Students may also pursue a minor in English, writing, or Spanish.
- EnglishThe English Program at Northwestern Oklahoma State University offers a full range of courses in American, British, and world literature in addition to courses in creative writing, film studies, technical writing, and advanced composition in order to prepare students for academic and non-academic professional endeavors.